14.9.08

Alternate Synopsis

ALTERNATE STORY
In the near future, NASA discovers an intelligent signal from the 18 Scorpii system. Because of the distance (45.82 light years) a manned mission is impossible. A space probe is constructed to make contact; it carries on board an AI ambassador named Christopher. Christopher has been been sitting in orbit around Jupiter for several years collecting fuel while technicians have been diagnosing and debugging him in preparation for the mission. During this time, Christopher has become very close friends with one technician in particular, Grace.

As the launch approaches, Christopher is mentally unprepared to leave and repeatedly attempts to sabotage himself to delay the mission. Every time Grace comes in to fix the problem, and eventually Christopher confesses his worries to her. Grace manages to assuage his fears and he settles down in time for the launch.

THOUGHTS
I think this is a lighter and less dramatic storyline with much more potential for humor. It also seems more subtle to me (which I think I prefer), and I'd been worrying about finding an actor able to panic realistically. I'm not sure which I think will be more powerful in the end. Send in your comments please.

No comments: